[R] maps package for Windows

Rajiv Prasad rajiv.prasad at charter.net
Fri Nov 21 08:45:35 CET 2003

Thanks, Uwe.  I successfully installed maps_2.0-10.

But now I have another problem.  mapdata_2.0-8.zip in the contrib directory
seems to be an invalid zip archive.  I downloaded it using IE, but WinZip
complains about its validity.  If I try to "Install from CRAN" in RGui, I
get the following:

> local({a <- CRAN.packages()
+ install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1], available=a)})
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES'
Content type `text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' length 13514 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 13Kb

trying URL
`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/mapdata_2.0-8.zip'
Content type `application/zip' length 3153920 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 3080Kb

Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: cannot open file `mapdata/DESCRIPTION'

Thanks for all your help, and the wonderful efforts of the whole R team.
I'm trying now to set up the build tools on my Windows laptop, so I can use
the sources directly, and not have to bother you more.  I have some
questions regarding setting up build tools on Windows.  I'll start a new
thread for it.

Thanks again.

Rajiv