[R] plot map of areas

Pascal A. Niklaus Pascal.Niklaus at unibas.ch
Fri Nov 21 14:01:38 CET 2003

Hi all,

Given a number of points (x,y) in a plane, I'd like to plot a map of
polygons, so that

    1) each polygon contains exactly one point
    2) the polygon defines the area for which this specific point is
closer than any other point.

It's a bit like a map of areas "influenced" by that point, and it's
obviously a matter of intersecting the perpendicular bisectors between
adjacent points.

I believe this type of map has a name, but I can't remember how it's
called.

Is there a function somewhere in a R package that may do this?

Thanks for your help

Pascal