R crashes with package SJava; was [R] Memory leakage?

Takeshi Takama takeshi.takama at transport-studies.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Nov 22 19:17:53 CET 2003

Dear All,

<<OS and software>>
    R-1.81
    j2sdk1.4.0_03
    SJava_0.66-1
    Windows NT4.01

I try to run R from Java with SJava and I seem to have the same problem as
discussed before in this mail list a few month ago:
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/031960.html
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/031962.html
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/031963.html
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/031965.html
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/031969.html
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/032048.html

I think I set up JAVA_HOME property, i.e. JAVA_HOME="D:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\jre"
So, I can see that these sentences work from R.
    library(SJava)
     .JavaInit()
     .Java("java.lang.System", "getProperty", "java.class.path")
     names(.Java("java.lang.System", "getProperties"))

However, when I try to run an example which uses a call-back process from
Java to R, such as "ttest.R" http://www.omegahat.org/RSJava/examples/ttest.R
R crushes when I press the "submit" button. However, the RGui.exe is still
running as a process but not application. This problem is exactly the same
as the one discussed in the links above.  Also, I have not succeeded to call
R from Java, either.  So, simply there is a problem of call-back from Java
to R.

The discussion a few months ago looks suddenly ended, so I could not get the
answer for this problem, or I might have missed searching the archive since
I am very new to this mail list.  I am trying to solve this problem for more
than a week and have no one using R around me. So, it would be grateful if
anyone can give me any hint to solve this problem.
Thank you

Best regards,
Tak

P.S. Please tell me if I need to set else environment variables other than
JAVA_HOME.
The output I get after I type ".javaConfig" is below:

> .javaConfig
$classPath
[1] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/omegahat/Jars/Environment.jar"
[2] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/.."
[3] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/omegahat/Jars/antlr.jar"
[4] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/omegahat/Jars/jas.jar"
[5] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/omegahat/Jars/jhall.jar"

$properties
                                                                 EmbeddedInR
                                                                      "true"
                                                       InterfaceManagerClass
             "org/omegahat/Interfaces/NativeInterface/OmegaInterfaceManager"
                                                   ForeignReferenceBaseClass
                                     "org/omegahat/R/Java/RForeignReference"
                                                               java.compiler
                                                                      "NONE"
                                                                  OMEGA_HOME
                           "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/org/omegahat"
                                                          OmegahatSearchPath
".,${OMEGA_HOME}/Environment/Scripts/Run,${OMEGA_HOME}/Jars/Environment.jar"
                                                           java.library.path
                                   "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/libs"

$libraryPath
[1] "D:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/library/SJava/libs"

Takeshi Takama
University of Oxford
Transport Studies Unit
St. Catherine's College