[R] readline problem under src-compiled R 1.8.x under Mandrake 9.2

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Sun Nov 23 17:04:36 CET 2003

R compiles very easily  under Mandrake 9.2, with one exception:  readline
seems not to work.  for some odd reason, in the configure script,
rl_callback_read_char is set to no, so the R configure script does not use
readline (I think this means it refuses to link readline into the executable,
but I am not sure.)  Now, MD 9.2 uses libreadline 4-4.3-7mdk (yes, it is
installed), rather than earlier readline versions.

Has anyone else encountered or solved this problem?

sincerely,  /iaw