[R] problems with R graph.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 16:59:05 CET 2003

If indeed you used the bitmap() function, please read its help page.
The differences are very likely due to the installations of ghostscript
and nothing to do with R.

There never was an `R 1.6', but the current version of R is 1.8.1, so it
looks as if an update is well overdue.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 aurelie.defferrard at bayercropscience.com wrote:

> I have some problems to generate graph with R...
>
> I am working on two different platform :
>
> - Compaq Alpha Server (Unix True 64 5.1) + R 1.6
> - Sparc Server (Sun Solaris 8) + R 1.6
>
> I use different functions like the bitmap function, the legend function and the
> barplot function.
> The graph are made by the same script on the both platform.
>
> I obtain nice graph on the compaq server but the graph  which is generate on the
> sun server has some problems...
> I don't understand why the result is not the same because we use the same
> library on each platform.
> Please look at these images to see what I mean.
>
> (See attached file: histogramme_bad.bmp)(See attached file:
> histogramme_good.bmp)

You cannot send binary attachments to R-help, so we can't see anything
here.  In any case, .bmp is a strange choice for use on Unix systems: png
would be much better for your readers here (but you would have to put them
on a web site).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk