[R] problem downloading Red Hat R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 1 08:57:28 CEST 2003

On 10/01/03 18:31, Sam McClatchie wrote:
>At work I've had to migrate from Mandrake 9.1 to Red Hat 9.0 and I'm
>reinstalling R. I am having a problem downloading from
>R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm from /bin/linux/redhat/9/i386. Basically the download
>does not complete. I am using mozilla, and when I click on the link the
>screen corrupts with odd symbols. Is there a problem with the site? (I
>don't have any problem downloading the user-contributed packages or the
>R-1.7.1.tgz.

This happens at the master CRAN site, but not at
http://cran.us.r-project.org
so I think it is something about the way the file is encoded by
the web page.  (I cannot figure out what it is.  The pages look
identical.  There was a problem like this once before where R was
invoking a RealPlayer plugin, but that doesn't happen now.)

So you can get it from another site.  Or you can just wait until
the screen is finished filling up with (apparent) junk and then
save that file using the File menu in Mozilla (upper left).

Jon
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/