[R] sas.get problem

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Oct 1 20:43:25 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:23, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:02:15 -0400, "Peter Flom" <flom at ndri.org> wrote
> :
>
> >When I try
> >
> > citypro <- sas.get('c:/ndri/cvar/data', member = 'citypro2')
> >

> >I get the following errors and warnings:
> >

> >'sas' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> >operable program or batch file.
>
> That's an S-PLUS function rather than an R function, isn't it?  Does
> some R package supply sas.get?
>
> I believe the S-PLUS implementation requires that you have SAS
> installed, and it looks like the error message is saying that you
> don't.  But if you're using S-PLUS, you'd be better asking on the
> s-news mailing list.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Duncan,

sas.get() is in Frank Harrell's Hmisc package on CRAN (recently
available there) for R.

I would defer to Frank's comments here, but reading the .PDF file that
is on CRAN, it does confirm that one must be able to run SAS in order to
use sas.get():

"Note

You must be able to run SAS (by typing sas) on your system. If the S
command !sas does not start SAS, then this function cannot work."

HTH,

Marc Schwartz