[R] permission problem on R install

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Oct 2 09:17:26 CEST 2003

Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> Here is the exact sequence of events:
>
> Making package base
>
> adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>
> C:/rsource/R-1.7.1/bin/rterm.exe: permission denied

Do you have the *recent* version of the tool set from Brian Ripley's
page? Do you use "tar" to unpack the sources?
Look into the permissions of the directory/files, sometimes strange
permissions are related to inheritance of permissions from a main
directory, and look for the reason why you don't have access to the file.

> MAKE[2]:***[C:/rsource/R-1.7.1/library/base/zzzz] Error 126
>
> MAKE[1]:***[pkg-base] Error 2
>
> MAKE:***[rpackage] Error 2
>

> Also, I'm using version 2.0.0-3.exe of Mingw.
>
> I tried the most recent version, and it got hung up because
> of changes in the type sizes.
>
> This doesn't make sense, does it?

No, if you have "cleaned" the sources with
  make clean
before. Compiling with MinGW's gcc-3.3.1 works perfectly, at least for
R-1.8.0 beta.

Uwe Ligges