[R] Plot can't forget bad parameters

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 3 02:16:45 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:

> When I give plot some bad paramaters, it keeps giving me error messages
> forever after.  I think the last time this happened, I even got the
> error messages for completely unrelated, non-graphical functions.
<snip>
> Is this a bug, or have I missed something?
> R 1.7.1

It's to do with redrawing.  When the graphics device is redrawn on the
screen (eg if it is covered up and then exposed) the commands that created
it are replayed. (in fact, I think they may be replayed twice on some
systems).

It's not entirely a bug, since the redrawing is necessary: we don't keep a
bitmap, and even if we did we'd have to redraw on resize.  Suppressing
warnings on the redraw would make sense, though.

After you do a new plot the warnings should stop resurfacing.

	-thomas