R: [R] r editors

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Oct 3 22:25:09 CEST 2003

Jason Turner wrote:

> Nick Drew wrote:
>
> > On a similar note, what are some alternative data editors that one might use
> > instead of the default R data editor? I'm not interested in Excel but
> > something that's freeware, easy to install and use. Any recommendations?
>
> If you don't like Excel for financial or license reasons, Open office
> works quite well these days (www.openoffice.org).
>
> If you don't like Excel because you find spreadsheets clunky, the next
> step for me perl or some such thing.
>
> Something in between?  I'm all ears.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason

I think Nick is talking about a tool to edit an R objeckt like a
matrix/vector/data.frame within a spreadsheet.

You might want to take a look at the Omegahat package RGnumeric, which
provides a bi-directional interface to the Open Source Gnumeric spread
sheet tool (http://www.omegahat.org/RGnumeric/index.html). I never tried
it out, though. I think there is no native way to use a spread sheet
editor directly on R objects.

Uwe Ligges