[R] Selecting a random sample for lmList()

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 6 18:36:08 CEST 2003

(Didn't I show this at the workshop you attended in June?)

You want to sample the levels of childid and subset the group
accordingly.

samp <- sample(levels(group$childid), 100)
subgroup <- subset(group, childid %in% samp)

You could, if you want, combine these into

subgroup <- subset(group, childid %in% sample(levels(group$childid), 100))

In this method each child has equal probability of being chosen.  If
you want the probability of being chosen to be proportional to the
number of observations on the child then use

subgroup <- subset(group, childid %in% sample(group$childid, 100))

There is a small chance that your sample will end up with fewer than
100 children but you could work around that by sampling more than 100
and taking the first 100 in the sample.