[R] Installing R with all packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 11:03:45 CEST 2003

I once copied all the contrib package sources from CRAN to a local
directory (I used an ftp client, but you could use rsync or wget : just
don't do it recursively or you will get the Archive too) and ran

R CMD INSTALL *.tar.gz

The only overhead in installing all packages at once is disc space:
we seem to have 320Mb in R_HOME/library here.