[R] Beginner's query - segmentation fault

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 14:29:48 CEST 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Laura Quinn wrote:

> I am dealing with a huge matrix in R (20 columns, 54000 rows) and have
> lots of missing values within the dataset which are currently displayed as
> the value "-999.00" I am trying to create a new matrix (or change the
> existing one) to display these values as "NA" so that I can then perform
> the necessary analysis on the columns within the matrix.
>
> The matrix name is temp and the column names are t1 to t20 inclusive.
>
> I have tried the following command:
>
> temp$t1[temp$t1 == -999.00] <- NA
>
> and it returns a segmentation fault, can someone tell me what I am doing
> wrong?

Well, R should not segfault, so there is bug here somewhere.  However, I
don't think what you have described can actually work. Is temp really a
matrix?  If so temp$t1 will return NULL, and you should get an error
message.

If temp is a matrix

temp[temp == -999.00] <- NA

will do what you want.

If as is more likely temp is a data frame with all columns numeric,
there are several ways to do this, e.g.

temp[] <- lapply(temp, function(x) ifelse(x == -999, NA, x))

temp[as.matrix(temp) == -999] <- NA  # only in recent versions of R

as well as explicit looping over columns.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk