[R] Installing R with all packages

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Tue Oct 7 17:02:08 CEST 2003

If it's really true that you will be the only user of R, then it
might be easier to build it in some place where you do have the
necessary permissions. You would then follow the suggestion in the
provided INSTALL file (from R 1.7.1):

---- quote ----
INSTALLATION

You do not need to install R to run it: you can run R by the script
`bin/R' which you can link or copy to any convenient place in your path.
---- end quote ----

Considering that R itself is updated fairly often, your sysadmin may
appreciate if you are able to take care of maintaining R yourself.

If you are not the only user, your sysadmin might be willing to make
the necessary copy or link in some directory in the standard user's
path, leaving the installation in some place you own. Then you can do
all the updates and package installations, and the sysadmin only
needs to update the links/copies when R itself is updated. That's how
we do it here, and it works very well.

-Don