[R] C dynamic library error on Solaris 7

Jason Sinnwell Sinnwell.Jason at mayo.edu
Wed Oct 8 00:21:17 CEST 2003

I am on Solaris 7, using R_1.7.1 developing packages for both Splus and R.
We have a working R-package for haplo.score and now converting to haplo.stats.

R CMD INSTALL -l /people/biostat3/sinnwell/Rdir/library haplo.stats_1.1.0.tar.gz
works like a charm-- as comparable to our working version of haplo.score.

But problems are when I'm loading the library within R.
Within my package I have three C files, one of which I believe is causing the
dynamic library error below.

> library(haplo.stats, lib.loc="/people/biostat3/sinnwell/Rdir/library")
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/people/biostat3/sinnwell/Rdir/library/haplo.stats/libs/haplo.stats.so":
  ld.so.1: /opt/tools/R/current-version/lib/R/bin/R.bin: fatal: relocation
error: file
/people/biostat3/sinnwell/Rdir/library/haplo.stats/libs/haplo.stats.so: symbol
errmsg: referenced symbol not found
Error in library(haplo.stats, lib.loc =
"/people/biostat3/sinnwell/Rdir/library") :
        .First.lib failed

When I remove this one C file from the package, though remaining R-functions
depend on it, the library loads beautifully.  We've followed guidelines in
Venebles and Ripley's S Programming to handle Calloc, Free, and S_alloc in all
three files.  I think there is a possibility the problem is there.

I looked at R-help archive emails with similar error messages, and those looked
like fortran compiler version issues.  Am I also dealing with a compiler issue?

FYI:
We have the whole haplo.stats package working in S.
Also, zzz.R for haplo.stats package:

.First.lib <- function(lib, pkg) {
   library.dynam("haplo.stats", pkg, lib)
}