is.na(v)<-b (was: Re: [R] Beginner's query - segmentation fault)

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Wed Oct 8 13:48:27 CEST 2003

Well, that's a convincing argument, but maybe
it's the name that's worrying some of us. Maybe it would be
more intuitive if called set.na (sorry, I mean setNA).

Also "is.na<-" cannot be used to create a new variable of
NAs, so is not a universal method,  which is a shame for its
advocates.

I note also that for a vector you can assign a new NA using
either TRUE or FALSE:

> a <- 1:3
> is.na(a[4])<-F
[1]  1  2  3 NA

For a list,  assigning F leaves the "new" element set to NULL.

Mind you, I suspect this would be a particularly stupid thing
to do, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over R's reaction to it.

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}