[R] nlme & lme for complex mixed ANOVAs

David Airey david.airey at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Oct 9 04:51:49 CEST 2003

Dear List,

I downloaded R for the first time yesterday, in the hopes that I might
deal more effectively with a complex repeated measures experimental
design involving inbred strains of laboratory mice. The design below,
somewhat simplified, cannot be computed with standard ANOVA, because
something called the X'X matrix is too large. The design has the
following factors:

Between-subject factors (levels):
	inbred mouse strain (20, "twenty")
	sex (2)
Animals:
	10 per sex*strain combination (400 total)
Within-subject factors:
	drug (3)
	trial set (4)
	stimulus characteristic 1 (2)
	stimulus characteristic 2 (2)

My question for the R community is, does R have in nlme or lme the
ability to compute this problem on a typical desktop PC? In Stata, for
instance, which has a matrix size limit of 11,000, the problem above
will not fit, using standard ANOVA. Matrix size can be determined by
listing all the terms of the full model and multiplying the levels of
each factor withing a term and summing all terms. I said simplified in
the first paragraph above, because if I include the day of drug
challenge, the model oversteps the number of within-subject factors
allowed. So, surprisingly to me, Stata/SE, which I bought for large
data sets, is too small! Not that I don't like Stata, but I am annoyed
that I must find another tool to use. I understand that SAS Proc Mixed
will compute the problem, because it may handle the covariance matrix
in some kind of piecemeal fashion (perhaps by animal but I've no
confirmation of this, except that it zips through a comparable data set
on someone else's computer). However, I am running Apple OS X and don't
have SAS on my machine. I don't really understand what's going on
underneath these programs respective hoods, but my question here is
whether R computes mixed models in such a way as to require a matrix
size like Stata or like SAS, when mixed models of this size are
presented?

Sincerely,

-Dave