[R] Partly successful build on Alpha/Tru64 UNIX 5.1

Jörg Polzehl polzehl at wias-berlin.de
Thu Oct 9 15:11:05 CEST 2003

Dear all,

      I'd like to share my experiences in building R 1.8.0 on an
Alpha/Tru64 UNIX 5.1
machine.

I used the following modifications in file  config.site:

CC=cc
F77=f77
CXX=c++
MAKE=gmake

with these settings I was able to successfully run

./configure MAKE=gmake

I had to manually unpack the files in    src/library/recommended
to get

gmake

running through the end (otherwise gmake complained about a
missing method for survival). Everything worked fine then.

gmake check

produces three errors in    arith.R .
All of these errors are due to an occurrence of  a  -0 instead of 0.
Unfortunately gmake check stops here, with  gmake check FORCE=FORCE
yielding the same result.

gmake install

runs without problems.

Best regards,