[R] general genetic algorithm / simulated annealing framework

Rajarshi Guha rxg218 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 10 18:19:01 CEST 2003

Hi,
  we have some code that does variable selection with a genetic
algorithm or simulated annealing, using a linear regression routine or
neural network as the objective function. This code is a mixture of
fortran and C.

The code is more than 15 years old and I  am planning to rework it.
Though a C rewrite would be good for efficiency, I would like to
protoype it quickly in R and see how it performs.

I came across the subselect package which does variable selection. But
it has 3 fixed criterion (is it correct to call these objective
functions?).

Before I start from scratch is any code available that provides the
basic framework of a GA/SA into which I could basically plug an
objective function (which might actually be a regresion routine or a NN
routine)

Thanks

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE