[R] DBI Interface broken

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Oct 11 11:50:37 CEST 2003

Fernando Henrique Ferraz wrote:

>         Hi, I'm trying to use R's DBI interface but it appears to be broken. I am using R 1.8.0 on Linux, and have just installed DBI 0.1-6 through the command 'install.packages("DBI")'.
>         Installation went fine, but now when I try to do a simple dbConnect(), it won't do anything besides complaining about an internal error:
>
>         > library(DBI)
>         > dbConnect(anything)
>         Error in dbConnect(anything) : couldn't find function ".valueClassTest"
>
>         > dbConnect
>         standardGeneric for "dbConnect" defined from package "DBI"
>           defined with value class: "DBIConnection"
>
>         function (drv, ...)
>         .valueClassTest(standardGeneric("dbConnect"), "DBIConnection",
>             "dbConnect")
>         <environment: 0x91201a8>
>         Methods may be defined for arguments: drv
>
>         Anyone has a clue on what might be going on? Is it DBI working for any of you using R 1.8.0?
>
>         Thank you,

Why do you post twice, to R-help and to R-bugs? In order not to
cross-post I repeat my answer on your bug-report:

Package "methods" has a namespace from which .valueClassTest() is not
exported, but it's in there, try:
  methods:::.valueClassTest

I think .valueClassTest() is not intended to be called by the user, so
the bug seems to be in package DBI rather than in R, and the maintainer
of DBI (David A. James <dj at bell-labs.com>, in CC) will certainly fix it.

Uwe Ligges