[R] Automatic re-looping after error

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sat Oct 11 11:52:34 CEST 2003

On 09-Oct-03 Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> All that's really needed to cope with the situation is for R to
>> drop that cycle of the loop, and resume with a new cycle.
>>
>> However, I'm wondering how to set this up. I've had a look at
>> try(), and I'm not at all sure that it does what I would want.
>> What I'd really like is something (inside the loop) on the lines of
>>
>>    on.error(maybe some parameters X) break
>>
>> where X might specify what sort of error or what function it comes
>> from. Would setting
>>
>>   options(error = break )
>>

> I don't think so.  You may need to look at the new exception-handling
> code (start with help(tryCatch)).

Thanks, Thomas.
I don't seem to have anything related to this in R-1.7.1 (16/06/03).
However, some web-searching finally tracked down

http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/conditions.html

so what would be involved in making this stuff available? Upgrade to
current R? Install a beta-version?

Thanks again,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972