[R] Integration between R & latex

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Sun Oct 12 10:02:02 CEST 2003

v.demart at libero.it schrieb:
> As an R absolute beginner and an expert (very old)
> statistician and latex user, I'm interested in using R to
> produce AUTOMAGICALLY tables in latex format. I mean I
> would like to have the means to build an R procedure
> generating **FROM INSIDE** a table or a graph to be
> inserted directly into latex. I've read
> http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/s/doc/summary.pdf
> where the author speaks of S (not R) and Latex integration
> via a Hmisc library which allows to make automatic,
> calculated tables in latex. Unfortunately this library
> doesn't seem to be present in R (I tried to follow the
> example issuing a "library(Hmisc)" and then, plainly,
> "library()" but nothing with the same functions appeared).
>
> Any help on how to set up that integration? And, where can
> I find documentation/examples on that?

A Google Groups search matches many postings,
e.g. this one pan.2003.10.09.14.08.58.922000 at NIETZOLEUKskynet.be:

"I don't know how well gnuplot integrates
with LaTeX, but R certainly does. If you
use the Sweave-package (delivered by default
with R), you can put your R code right into
your LaTeX document.
Process your document once with R and then
with LaTeX and that's it: a nice paper with
the results of your analyses. If you _really_
want to speed up things, you can use R from
within your favorite emacs editor (install
ESS mode, i.e. emacs speaks statistics)."

At the moment I don't have any further
information because I'm also at the beginning
of integrating R into LaTeX. But from the
german newsgroup de.comp.text.tex I know, that
it's possible and even easy. Reading the
following document was suggested to me:
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/Sweave-manual-20020507.pdf

And LaTeX-tables could really be done with
library(hmisc). Maybe you have to install the
hmisc-package. It isn't yet in my machine, too.
How to install a package describes the FAQ
(http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html):

5.2 How can add-on packages be installed?

HTH

Greetings,

Christoph
Christoph Bier, Dipl.Oecotroph., Email: bier at wiz.uni-kassel.de
Universitaet Kassel, FG Oekologische Lebensmittelqualitaet und
Ernaehrungskultur \\ Postfach 12 52 \\ 37202 Witzenhausen
Tel.: +49 (0) 55 42 / 98 -17 21, Fax: -17 13