[R] opening a WinZip file

Marsland, John John.Marsland at CommerzbankIB.com
Tue Oct 14 10:09:20 CEST 2003

I use the following to read files from inside a .zip file directly:

z <- unz("C:/temp/my.zip", "/the/full/path/my.csv", open="r")
mydata <-
read.csv(z,skip=4,header=F,as.is=T,colClasses=c("character","character"))
close(z)

obviously you should use whatever options are appropriate with read.csv
but the important thing is to reference the full saved path of the file
within the zip file.

This works fine, but there is an intermitent "bug" about seek not working on
this connection - if you re-run it alwys goes away.

Regards,

John