[R] help with legend()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 17 09:20:26 CEST 2003

    PaulSch> I am converting some S-PLUS scripts that I use for
    PaulSch> creating manuscript figures to R so that I can take
    PaulSch> advantage of the plotmath capabilities.  In my
    PaulSch> S-PLUS scripts I like to use the key() function for
    PaulSch> adding legends to plots,

AFAIK  key() in S+ is from the trellis library section.
The corresponding R package, trellis, has
a draw.key() function that may work similarly to S-plus' key()
{Deepayan ?}.

    PaulSch> and I have a couple of
    PaulSch> questions regarding using the legend() function in
    PaulSch> R.

    PaulSch> 1) is there a way to specify different colors for
    PaulSch> the legend vector of text values?

not yet in legend() -- but see below

    PaulSch> 2) is there a way to reverse the order of the
    PaulSch> legend items so that the text values precede the
    PaulSch> symbols?

not yet in legend()   --- but it's an open source project living
		       from "community support" ...

Can S+ key() do these two things?
If yes, how do you specify it there
{this sounds as if I was willing to consider adding these wished
 features to legend .... }

    PaulSch> Thanks for your time and patience.

You're welcome,
Martin