[R] R memory and CPU requirements

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Oct 17 14:36:44 CEST 2003

A couple of comments:

o  Methods such as decision trees do not need to expand factors into columns
of 1df contrasts, so the memory requirement is vastly different.  The models
produced is also very, very different.

o  Why would you want "all possible interactions" of 10 variables, 6 of
which are factors?  How do you intend to interpret, e.g., the 6-factor
interaction?  What can you conclude about a significant 10-variable
interaction?  What is your ultimate goal for this exercise?  Answer to that
should help you decide on more reasonable models to fit.

o  One thing to try is fit the ANOVA model "by hand" by computing cell means
and examine them.  This avoids creating the huge design matrix that's mostly
0s.

HTH,
Andy