[R] How to upgrade R

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:49:02 CEST 2003

Hi

I wondered what the standard procedure was for upgrading from one version of R to the next.  I currently have R 1.7.1 and want the latest release, R 1.8.0.  I am running SUSE linux 8.2.  The main thing is that I want to keep all of the libraries that I have installed for R 1.7.1 without having to re-install them.

I tried the rpm but that didn't really work :-(

I then tried installing from source and that worked.  I then copied my library/ folder across to the new installation, but now I get lots of error messages along the lines of:

Error in grep("\\w", platform) : 5 arguments passed to "grep" which requires 6.

So, my question being, how do I upgrade from R version 1.7.1 to R 1.8.0 and keep all of my libraries intact?

Thanks
Mick