[R] Lilliefors Test

Martina Pavlicova pavlicov at stat.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 20 17:51:44 CEST 2003

> Is it not true that the Shapiro Wilks test implemented in the package
> ctest requires the assumption that the population variance of the
> variable is known?

I am not sure about this one...

> Is it also not true that the Lilliefors is not a test of normality
> as such, but is rather a correction of the p-value for the
> Kolmogorov Smirnov test?

Yes, that is right. Here is the code:

null.hyp <- function(x) {
	## one observation from the null distribution
  mu <- mean(x)
  sigma <- sd(x)
  foo <- ks.test(x=x, y="pnorm", mean = mu, sd = sigma)
  sim <- foo$statistic
  sim
}

create.null <- function(n=n, rep=100000){
	## creates a sample of length 'rep' from null distribution
  null <- numeric(rep)
  for(i in 1:rep){
    null[i] <- null.hyp(rnorm(n))
  }
  null
}

Lilliefors.test <- function(sample=data, rep){
  n <- length(sample)
  null.dist <- create.null(n, rep)
  res <- list()
  res$statistic <- null.hyp(sample)
  res$p.value <- sum(null.dist>res$statistic)/rep
  res
}

Thanks,

Martina Pavlicova

Department of Statistics             Office Phone: (614) 292-1567
1958 Neil Avenue, 304E Cockins Hall  FAX: (614) 292-2096
The Ohio State University            E-mail: pavlicov at stat.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210-1247              www.stat.ohio-state.edu/~pavlicov