[R] Running RMySQL with SuSE 8.2?

M.Kondrin mkondrin at hppi.troitsk.ru
Tue Oct 21 15:06:06 CEST 2003

Barnet Wagman wrote:

>Do you know where I find a patched version, or where I find the patch an
>instructions on how to install it?  (I didn't see anything about this on
>CRAN.)  I'm running R-base-1.8.0-1.i386.rpm (the most recent binary
>available for SuSE) and it appears to have the 'valueClass' problem.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Barnet
>
>David James wrote:
>

>>However,
>>there is a problem in the released version of R 1.8.0 that affects
>>the DBI and other packages (has something to do with methods
>>that use the "valueClass" argument in the setGeneric/setMethod functions).
>>In this case one needs to use the R-patched version.
>>

>>Hope this helps,
>>
>>--
>>David
>>
>>Barnet Wagman wrote:
>>

>>>Since there doesn't appear to be an RMySQL rpm for SuSE 8.*,  does
>>>anyone know if the 7.3 version will work with the SuSE 8.2 rpms of R and
>>>DBI?
>>>
>>>The package installs without complaint, but when I try to run
>>>
>>>   con <- dbConnect(dbDriver("MySQL"),dbname="test")
>>>
>>>I get the error
>>>
>>>   Error in dbConnect(dbDriver("MySQL")) : couldn't find function
>>>".valueClassTest"
>>>
>>>(This is my first attempt to access a an rdms from R, so I could be
>>>doing something else wrong.)
>>>
>>>Any ideas as what might be generating this error, or as to combinations
>>>of rpms that will work under SuSE 8.2 would be appreciated. (I took a
>>>stab at compiling RMySQL from src, but I don't have MySQL src installed
>>>and I rather not get involved in this if I can avoid it.)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Barnet Wagman

>	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

There was a discussion about it just after R-1.8.0 was released. Patched
version may be found at CRAN (as usual). For example
ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-patched_2003-10-*. You can
either compile it from scratch or fix your available installation just
adding a line exports(.valueClassTest) to the end of NAMESPACE file in
the methods library (this works for me).