[R] Graphics overview

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Tue Oct 21 14:28:34 CEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Chapter 4 of MASS (the book) is a pretty comprehensive set of examples,
> but given that there are lots of plots associated with e.g. multivariate
> analysis (try chapter 11 of MASS) and time series (try chapter 14 of MASS)
> the scope is enormous.

I ordered it right now in our library.

>>    Another example, much more simpler (I hope): I want to get
>>the sum of the values in a plot above the columns. Like this:
>>
>>|       3
>>|  2    _
>>|  _   | |
>>| | |  | |
>>|_|_|__|_|__
>>    A    B
>>
>>    RTMFs are welcome =/. But I read 'help(plot)' (plot is
>>what I actually use for the graphic above¹) and 'help(par)',
>

> It looks like a barplot to me.

It's realised (without the sum of the values above the
coliumns) via

 > attach(data.frame)
 > plot(variable.from.data.frame)

>>searched my introduction to S and S-Plus and I'm still waiting
>>for "Introductory Statistics with R" (P. Dalgaard), that is
>>not deliverable at the moment.
>

> There is an example of that in the MASS package script ch04.R
> The means to do it are described in `An Introduction to R' (and
> elsewhere).

I had a look at this script on my machine and have a print
version of "An Introduction to R". Maybe I find out what to do
with such scripts.

Thanks for your answer!

Best regards,

Christoph
Christoph Bier, Dipl.Oecotroph., Email: bier at wiz.uni-kassel.de
Universitaet Kassel, FG Oekologische Lebensmittelqualitaet und
Ernaehrungskultur \\ Postfach 12 52 \\ 37202 Witzenhausen
Tel.: +49 (0) 55 42 / 98 -17 21, Fax: -17 13