[R] R-help login page error

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 23 08:40:15 CEST 2003

    Héctor> Hi all,
    Héctor> I'm trying to access my account at
    Héctor> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/options/r-help
    Héctor> but the following appears:
    Héctor> *Error: */Authentication failed./

    Héctor> Yes, I've already checked my password. Is it a problem
    Héctor> with mailman or something?

this could well be the case.
Recently, the web server has been moved (from an older Sun-Solaris
to a new Intel-Linux box) and we have checked quite a few things
that did work fine.

OTOH, mailman authentication has been a problem from time to
time, and we've never found the time and energy to track the
problem completely, as it seemed to only exist "randomly".  As a
matter of fact, I had hoped that the mailman upgrade (from 2.1.2
to 2.1.3) about 10 days ago might solve some of these
authentication problems.  I'm vaguely guessing that the problem
could also be on your side (some proxy/firewall/... feature)...

However if we want to follow this up, please do NOT use R-help!
(you might use R-help-owner at ....)

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><