[R] GIS re-mapping / polygon overlap

Jens Oehlschlägel oehl_list at gmx.de
Thu Oct 23 13:36:48 CEST 2003

In Germany the Unemployment Agency uses a sectioning of the german map that
is different from the usual Administrative Boundaries.
Some demographic data are available in Administrative Boundaries only, some
in Unemployment Boundaries only.

I would like to generate estimates in one boundary system of data availabe
in the other boundary system, and would appreciate advice concerning the
following questions:

- can someone provide mapping functions between german Administrative
Boundaries (Kreise, Gemeinden, ...) and Unemployment Boundaries (Arbeitsämter)
OR
  - can someone provide polygon data of Unemployment Boundaries and/or
Administrative Boundaries
  AND
    - is there a general function in R available to map demographic data
between two boundary systems
    OR
    - is there an efficient R function that can determine the amount of area
overlap between two general polygons (beyond gpclib)

I am willing to share developed code for this problem (that's why I would
prefer gpl code over gpclib, which is not really free)

Thanks for any help

Jens Oehlschlägel