[R] Visualising Moving Vectors

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 19:58:10 CET 2003

On 28-Oct-03 Laura Quinn wrote:
> I am wanting to plot a series of wind vectors onto a contoured area map
> for a series of weather stations (eg arrows showing wind
> speed/direction for a particular time snapshot), can someone please
> advise me how best to approach this?
>
> My desired end point is to be able to link a time series of such data
> together so that I will in effect have a "movie" displaying the
> evolution of these wind vectors over time - can anyone suggest how
> this can be achieved? I believe that there is a function within Image
> Magick whereby I might be able to acheive this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

ImageMagick (which is a suite of several stand-alone programs) includes
the program 'animate' which does just this. If you have your sequence
of files in alphabetical sort order (e.g. view001.png, view002.png, ...)
then

  animate view*.png

will cycle through them on order (and rather briskly; however, you
can use the "-delay" option to choose your frame speed). There's
also a facility to merge a sequence of image files into a single
file, an "animated GIF", which can be "played" on any standard
Web Browser, only I don't recall the details.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 28-Oct-03                                       Time: 18:58:10