[R] /usr/lib/R/library vs /usr/local/lib/R/site-library

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Oct 29 16:51:16 CET 2003

Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> writes:

1> I would appreciate getting a clarification of /usr/lib/R/library vs
1> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library.  I am running R 1.8 on Debian Linux.
1> On one occasion doing update.packages() resulted in versions of one
1> or more libraries being placed in one of these directories without
1> removing the old version, and the old version took precedence over
1> the new.  I'm sorry I did not save the steps I used.  I would
1> appreciate reading how best to manage libraries.  Currently I have
1> the following in /usr/local/lib/R/site-library: Design, Hmisc,
1> Rcmdr, acepack, car.  /usr/lib/R/library contains the following:

> KernSmooth  boot     eda      lqs      modreg  nnet     stepfun   ts
> MASS        class    foreign  methods  mva     rpart    survival
> R.css       cluster  grid     mgcv     nlme    spatial  tcltk
> base        ctest    lattice  mle      nls     splines  tools

On Debian (and I'm sure Dirk will pipe in), /usr/lib/R/library is for
apt-installed by the core R packages, /usr/lib/R/site-library is for
apt-installed R packages (from CRAN, or Jim Lindsey's works), and
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library where you want to put locally installed
stuff (i.e. "install.packages()" should put there).

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}