[R] packaging a package addon

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 30 01:46:41 CET 2003

I am trying to package some code that is a tweak to the survival
package.  When I asked earlier, the list consensus was that it would be
best to do this as a separate package, dependent on survival.

This is proving a bit tricky.

I have some run-time and compile time concerns.

Run-time, my R code needs R code from survival, and my C code needs C
functions from survival.  Will this all be properly loaded by, for
example, R CMD check, (assuming the proper dependency in DESCRIPTION) so
that it doesn't blow up?

The reason I haven't just tried it is that the compile-time issues.  My
C code depends on survival C code for headers.  I believe that the
typical target system where the package would be installed won't have
these at all.  Is that true?  If so, what's the best way around this?
Maybe stick the headers in a subdirectory and mess with the build
options to include them?  And hope they don't get out of sync with the
real ones?
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 476-9856
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840                     hm:  (415) 550-1062