[R] conflicts(detail=TRUE)

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Oct 30 16:22:26 CET 2003

Mahmood ARAI wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Could somebody please explain what the following conflict is about?
>
> best
> mahmood
>
> R> conflicts(detail=TRUE)
>
> $"package:methods"
> [1] "body<-"
>
> $"package:base"
> [1] "body<-"

The version on the methods package is a generic function:  There are
some special methods defined in the package for assigning the body of
special classes of functions.  The version on the base package is not a
generic.

It's possible that in the future conflicts() might not report a generic
vs a non-generic version of the same function, if they were compatible.

John Chambers.