[R] /usr/lib/R/library vs /usr/local/lib/R/site-library

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 30 15:41:07 CET 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:35:25AM +0100, Bj?rn-Helge Mevik wrote:
> Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:51:16AM -0800, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> >
> >> /usr/lib/R/site-library is for
> >> apt-installed R packages (from CRAN, or Jim Lindsey's works), and
>
> > It is not yet fully implemented as not all apt-get'able Debian
> > packages of CRAN, Omegahat, ...
>
> Forgive my ignorance; I just switched to Debian.  Are there R packages
> (such as `car' or `vegan') that are apt-get'able?  How can I find out
> which ones, and how do I set up apt to get them?

Yes and no: car is, vegan isn't; a few more are available [1] The choice of
available package reflects the preferences of the (by now four) different
maintainers.

> (I've added `deb http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian woody
> main' to /etc/apt/sources.list, to get the latest version of R.)

But you won't be able to use 'woody' aka Debian stable. Most packages are in
testing. You should also be able to mix stable and testing, email me off
list if you're curious.

Hth, Dirk

[1] its is only on my computer, the others should be on any Debian mirror.

edd at homebud:~> (apt-cache search r-cran; apt-cache search r-noncran; apt-cache search r-omegahat) | sort | uniq
r-cran-car - GNU R Companion to Applied Regression by John Fox
r-cran-coda - Output analysis and diagnostics for MCMC simulations in R
r-cran-design - GNU R regression modeling strategies tools by Frank Harrell
r-cran-gtkdevice - GNU R Gtk device driver package
r-cran-hmisc - GNU R miscellaneous functions by Frank Harrell
r-cran-its - GNU R package for handling irregular time series
r-cran-mcmcpack - routines for Markov Chain Monte Carlo model estimation in R
r-cran-qtl - [Biology] GNU R package for genetic marker linkage analysis
r-cran-rcmdr - GNU R platform-independent basic-statistics GUI
r-cran-rodbc - GNU R package for ODBC database access
r-cran-rquantlib - GNU R package interfacing the QuantLib finance library
r-cran-statdataml - XML based data exchange format (R library)
r-cran-tkrplot - GNU R embedded Tk plotting device package
r-cran-tseries - GNU R package for time-series analysis and comp. finance
r-cran-xml - An XML package for the R language
r-noncran-lindsey - GNU R libraries contributed by Jim and Patrick Lindsey
r-omegahat-ggobi - GNU R package for the GGobi data visualization system
r-omegahat-rgtk - GNU R binding for Gtk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx