[R] Re: packaging a package addon

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 30 22:47:40 CET 2003

Thanks to everyone for their advice.  I took easy/portable route of
adding the necessary C files to my package.  I agree that this is
undesirable as a long term solution.

I also added library("survival") to my .First.lib.  Is library, rather
than require, the right choice here?  I want it to fail if survival
doesn't load.

I'm also a little surprised there isn't a platform out there that will
gag on finding the same symbol in two different libraries...

Finally, a comment on R CMD check: perhaps it could produce some more of
the output when things fail?  I found that to diagnose the loading
problems as I developed this, I had to attempt to load the package
myself in R to see what the actual problem was.  There wasn't enough
info in the R CMD check to tell what exactly the problem was.