[R] Problems with help.start()

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Oct 31 23:00:54 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 15:05, Henrique Patrício Sant'Anna Branco wrote:
> Hello there,
> I've just installed R for Windows 1.8.0 and I'm experiencing problems with
> help.start().
> It opens the help page as it supposed to do, then I go to "Search Engine &
> Keywords", but when I click anything there, it returns me a (aparently)
> JavaScript error, something like "The object does not support this method or
> property".
> The Search Engine doesn't work as well.
> I tried to open with Internet Explorer 6 and Mozilla (the last one).
> Have anybody already seen this problem?
> Thanks,
> Henrique.

This has been discussed previously. It is tied to having both Java and
JavaScript functioning in your browser. If Java is installed on your
computer, be sure that both are enabled in your browser. Both must be
functional in order to use the help.start() search engine which is a
java applet.

The following link provides information for Mozilla 1.5, which is the
latest version, regarding installing Java:

http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.5/installation-extras.html

There is also a FAQ at Sun here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.jsp

If you do not have Java installed on your computer yet, you can go here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/auto_install.jsp

for instructions on how to download and install it.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz