[R] Re: normal distribution in samples of soil organisms.

ucgamdo@ucl.ac.uk ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 3 13:19:12 CEST 2003

Hi,

   You didn't specify the satistical model you are intereted in, I will
suppose it is something like:
#Organims ~ Landscape + Soil + Depth + Species

I suppose you have a table of with something like...

Spec	Lands	Soil	Depth	#Organisms
A	1	1	1	10
A	1	2	1	2
B	1	1	1	0
B	2	2	2	2

... etc,

Normally, the count of organisms in soil samples follows a posisson
distribution, not a normal one. You should effectively check for normality
in your final data table, including the zeroes. In fact, you can do an
anova and then do some diagnostics plots, in R you would do something like
(suppose your table is stored in an object called my data):

mydata.lm <- lm(Organisms ~ Spec + Lands + Soil + Depth, data = mydata) #
fit a linear model

anova(mydata.lm) # to print a nicely formatted anova table

plot(mydata.lm)  # to do some diagnostics plots

If your data follows a poisson distribution, the qq plot obtained above
will be strikingly deviated from a straight line. This plots are normally
more useful than just obtaining p-values for normality tests. If your data
is indeed deviated from normality, you should then apply a suitable
transformation and repeat the analysis. I strongly adivice you to have a
look at the book Biometry, by Robert R. Sokal and F. James Rohlf (1996),
there are quite good examples in there and where and what transformations
should be applied, specially trasnforming data from a poisson-like
distribution to a normal one.

Hope this helps.