[R] Overlaying graphs

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Sep 4 16:34:27 CEST 2003

	  Your observation that qqnorm "does not appear to be very general" is
rebutted by Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statistics with S,
4th ed. (Springer, p.108):  "One of the best ways to compare the
distribution of a sample x with a distribution is to use a Q-Q plot. ...
This idea can be applied quite generally.  For example, to test a sample
against a t9 distribution, we might use

	  plot( qt(ppoints(x), 9), sort(x) )

	  Before I consider the "best-fitting probability distribution", I want
to know something about the nature of the application and what the
numbers claim to represent:  If they are discrete counts, I will not
even consider a normal distribution except as an approximation.  If they
are money or physical measurements like power or grams in applications
where they should never be negative, then I may want to take logarithms
first before I do anything else.  If lifetime data, I will consider
lognormal and Weibull, and prepare a cumulative hazard plot before doing
much else.  If a normal probability plot shows skewness, I will look for
another distribution or a transformation that makes sense with the
application.  If it shows discontinuities, I will consider mixtures.  By
the time you start considering mixtures, the number of alternative
distributional models becomes infinite.

hope this helps.  spencer graves