[R] read.table: check.names arg - feature request

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Thu Sep 4 19:00:40 CEST 2003

I admit I should have been more clear in my original posting. Let me try again (and I do know that by deafulat read.table discards everything after '#' which is why I use comment.char="", my bad not to mention this).

Here is a typical example of my data file:

#key	value
foo	1.2
boo	1.3

As you see the header line begins with '#' and then lists the column names, however make.names will convert the raw names  c("#key", "value") to c(".key", "value") while I need c("key", "value"), i.e. no dot before key. So I am asking to give us a hook to specify the function that will handle this situation.

I am not sure I understand how having this hook can result in an invalid data frame? It can return invalid names, but check.names=FALSE can too.

Thanks,
Vadim