[R] Comparison of SAS & R/Splus

Paul, David A paulda at BATTELLE.ORG
Thu Sep 4 20:50:25 CEST 2003

I am one of only 5 or 6 people in my organization making the
effort to include R/Splus as an analysis tool in everyday work -
the rest of my colleagues use SAS exclusively.

Today, one of them made the assertion that he believes the
numerical algorithms in SAS are superior to those in Splus
and R -- ie, optimization routines are faster in SAS, the SAS
Institute has teams of excellent numerical analysts that
ensure its superiority to anything freely available, PROC
NLMIXED is more flexible than nlme( ) in the sense that it
allows a much wider array of error structures than can be used
in R/Splus, &etc.

I obviously do not subscribe to these views and would like
to refute them, but I am not a numerical analyst and am still
a novice at R/Splus.  Do there exist refereed papers comparing the
numerical capabilities of these platforms?  If not, are there
other resources I might look up and pass along to my colleagues?

Much thanks in advance,

 david paul