[R] documents for writing functions

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 4 22:12:51 CEST 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Have you considered the two books by Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern
> Applied Statistics in S and (2000) S Programming (both Springer)?  If
> yes, I don't know what you mean by "the usually available manuals."

In addition, John Chambers's "Programming with Data" (aka The Green Book)
is a good source.

> hope this helps.
>
> Rado Bonk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody know suitable documents (manuals) on writing user functions
> > (covering loops, conditions ...) in R? Other than the usually available
> > manuals.

It all depends on how much programming experience you already have.  I'm
giving a small workshop next week on these areas and my notes are
available at http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~kwan022/rinfo.php

I'm planning on extend the notes into a book I'm writing -- which will be
submitted to CRAN when it is completed.

--
Cheers,

Kevin

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
---- From Computer Stupidities: http://rinkworks.com/stupid/

--
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang