[R] laplace transform

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 6 19:27:59 CEST 2003

    Andrew> Dear Ravi, R calls many functions that are written
    Andrew> in FORTRAN. As a start on how to do this, perhaps
    Andrew> look at the cluster package.

But that doesn't help Ravi.
He needs to learn how to call R functions from compiled code,
since one wants the laplace transform of an R function.

1) you can do this only from C, not from Fortran
2) This is not a big problem, since it will be the C code that
   both calls into Fortran and into R.

In some sense, this problem is very much similar ``in spirit''
to solving differential equations:
You have functions as input and functions as output.
And you are lucky: The "odesolve" CRAN package has the same
basic setup as you: It uses a Fortran algorithm to solve
differential equations specified by R functions.

So download odesolve (source, not "install package"), study its
code and learn :-)  You definitely should also (first) learn
from reading in the "Writing R Extensions" manual, particularly
the chapter "System and foreign language interfaces".

Regards,
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><