[R] cannot allocate vector of size...

hwood@iprimus.com.au hwood at iprimus.com.au
Mon Sep 8 08:21:23 CEST 2003

Hi,

I know that this question has been asked several times before but I haven't
been able to find an answer.

I'm running R on a P3 933 with 384 MB of RAM. The system is running Windows
XP Home.

I'm trying to read a 1054 row by 30303 column matrix from a tab delimited
text file ("file.txt") into R using the following command:
   m <- matrix(scan(file ="file.txt"), nrow = 1054, ncol = 30303, byrow =
TRUE)
When I use this command I get the following output:
   Read 31939362 items
   Error: cannot allocate vector of size 249526Kb

I have recently increased the amount of RAM in my system. Prior to this
I got only the 'Error...' message and not the 'Read ... items' message.

I have increased the space available to R at startup to 1G by modifying the
startup properties.

I would love any assistance/ideas anyone can give me with this problem.

Thanks!

Hannah