[R] R video

Thomas Petzoldt petzoldt at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 9 10:23:55 CEST 2003

David Khabie-Zeitoune schrieb:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know of any R packages under Windows to produce video files
> from a sequence of R graphs -- e.g. in .wmv or avi format?

Hello,

some times ago I've testet several methods and found the following to be
useful and effective:

1.) Create a numbered sequence of bitmap images on the harddisk:

for(i in 1:nruns) {
   bmp(filename=paste("pp", i+1000, ".bmp", sep=""))
   plot(.........) # some plotting commands
   dev.off()
}

2.) Convert the bitmaps to a color depth of 16.7 Mio colors. For this
purpose I use the freeware program IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com).
Hint: File - Batch Conversion - Button "Set Advanced Options", Change
Color Depth, 16.7 Million. Then select the files to convert, the
destination path and the output format (.bmp), press the Start button
and relax.

3.) Get the program "bmp2avi" (search the web for it) and convert the
.bmp images to a video (avi) file.

4.) If the video is too large, use a video compression utility (e.g. the
GPL licensed VirtualDub) to compress it.

5.) There are some alternative ways of creating animations using
non-free software or tools to make animated Gifs.

Thomas

--
Thomas Petzoldt
Dresden University of Technology