[R] Plot survey data

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Sep 10 17:32:34 CEST 2003

Dear Anupam,

I may be wrong, but I don't think that there's any standard method to use
in plotting with case weights. I can think of two approaches, however: (1)
If you have a large sample, and if the range of the weights isn't too
large, you could sample your observations with probability of inclusion in
the plot proportional to the case weights. (2) You could plot the points
with "size" proportional to the square root of the case weights (i.e., area
proportional to the weights).

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 10:46 AM 9/10/2003 -0400, TyagiAnupam at aol.com wrote:
>I am trying to make plots that take into account survey weights. This a
>survey of the US population.  To start with I want to explore the data
>using pairs,
>plot, coplots and lattice. Are there specialized methods that handle survey
>weights for plotting? Any pointers?
>Anupam.

John Fox
Department of Sociology