[R] Flipping a heatmap

David Khabie-Zeitoune dave at evocapital.com
Thu Sep 11 16:57:23 CEST 2003

Thanks to everyone who replied on this subject. Clearly, two rows of the
correlation matrix which have similar numerical entries represent two
variables which have similar correlations with the other variables.
Therefore clustering using a distance metric (e.g. dist) defined on the
rows (or equivalently columns) of the correlation matrix produces an
ordering which lumps together correlated variables. This had been my
original thinking (if a little fuzzy), but I've decided now to do the
clustering on the data matrix directly and just do an image plot of the
resulting re-ordered correlation matrix.

If any one else has good ideas about how to visualise correlation
structures in large correlation matrices, I'd love to hear them, on- or
off-line.