[R] nlme and simulation

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Sep 12 16:11:08 CEST 2003

Have you looked at Pinhiero and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models for S
and S-Plus (Springer)?  They describe the use of simulation to evaluate
the sampling distribution when a parameter is at a boundary.  For the
cases they consider, they find that a mixture of chi-squares with
different numbers of degrees of freedom (being number of parameters
estimated with and without the parameter potentially at the boundary)
works quite well.  I don't have the book here so can't give you a page
citation, but it's in a methodology chapter (3?), and they have
beautiful plot to illustrate the results.

hope this helps.
spencer graves