[R] Persp and color

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Sep 16 16:32:03 CEST 2003

ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi, first of all I would like to say that honestly the persp demo is quite
> impresive, I won't take that away from you. The only problem I had, was
> that the code that actually builds the matrix of topo-colours that are used
> in the demo, is quite complicated (at least for me), and that code is
> poorly commented. So I was left with a series of help's() to try to see
> what each function would do, etc, etc..., while I was in that proccess I
> rembered about the wireframe function, and after checking its
> documentation, I found out that it has 'built-in' the ability to creaty
> this topo colors, that, I think is a great advantage. Maybe a good idea
> would be to insert the procedure you used to create the colors into the
> persp function itself, so humble neophyte users can easily plot striking
> volcano surfaces.
>
> This is actually the bit of code I couldn't work out, I know I would if I
> just could invest more of my precious time to it:
>

>>fcol <- fill
>

>>zi <- volcano[-1, -1] + volcano[-1, -61] + volcano[-87,
>
>     -1] + volcano[-87, -61]

Since

  dim(volcano)
  [1] 87 61

you have to throw away some points of the margins, because you need
(nx-1)*(ny-1) facets' colors. And you want the color to be specified for
the middle of the facets, not one of the 4 corners, so you average the
matrices of those 4 corners.

>>fcol[-i1, -i2] <- terrain.colors(20)[cut(zi, quantile(zi,
>
>     seq(0, 1, len = 21)), include.lowest = TRUE)]

You use 20 different colors, choosen (indexed) by quantiles of the
matrix calculated above. That's the obvious idea (nice implemented here,
though).

>>persp(x, y, 2 * z, theta = 110, phi = 40, col = fcol,
>
>     scale = FALSE, ltheta = -120, shade = 0.4, border = NA, box = FALSE)
>

> just another thing, I have realised that the demo runs from beginning to
> end without stopping (not always), that is not very nice because the plots
> are displayed too quickly to appreciate, so the user is left to 'run' de
> demo manualy, i.e. copying and pasting each bit of code in order to see
> each plot in detail. I am aware that R is the product of the cooperation of
> many people, contributing part of their work-time into making it better, I
> think your demo is fine, and perhaps you won't have time to improve on it,
> don't worry about that (no bad feelings).

The improvement seems to be:

  par(ask = TRUE)
  demo(persp)

Uwe Ligges